Universiti Putra Malaysia
About the Universiti Putra MalaysiaThe origins of Universiti Putra Malaysia can be traced to the School of Agriculture, which was officially established on 21 May 1931 by John Scott, an administrative officer of the Straits Settlements. The school was located on a 22-acre land in Serdang. The School offered two programmes then, namely a three-year diploma programme and a one-year certificate course. By 1941, the School succeeded in training 321 officers - 155 obtained the diploma and 166 the certificate. On 23 June 1947, the school was declared the College of Agriculture Malaya by Sir Edward Gent, the Governor of the Malayan Union. In 1948, it was proposed that this college be upgraded to a university. The proposal, however, was shelved with the declaration of the Emergency in the middle of the same year. In 1960, the Faculty of Agriculture at the University of Malaya was established, and on 1 January 1962 a statute was approved to appoint the Council of the College of Agriculture Malaya as an authoritative body of the University of Malaya. In conjunction with the growing importance of the agricultural sector in the country's economy, the role of the college became prominent. Hence, the government allocated RM7.9 million to carry out development under the First Malaysian Plan (1966-1970). The allocation received was spent on increasing students' intake, building lecture halls, extending areas for college development, adding more science laboratories and recruiting more staff. Tun Abdul Razak Hussein, the Prime Minister then, when officiating extended buildings in the college on 31 March 1969, envisioned an agricultural university which would offer degree courses. This vision was finally realized with the founding of University Pertanian Malaysia.
Request has been send to Universiti Putra Malaysia, they should respond shortly.
There was a problem sending your message. Please try again.
Please complete all the fields in the form before sending.